(:

Monday, January 27, 2014

Warning: I have got a whole lot to say so you're getting the rough details. (:

Ok, let's remember for a minute how the week started. While reviewing the training material for this week on Monday night, I read the answer to my prayers about what I could do to help Sister Figueira. The manual suggests, "The new missionary assumes control in all situations."

Beyond all of the other things I've done to try to help, this change made all the difference. Her confidence grew, her teaching changed, her desire to succeed at least tripled, and she remembered that she loves me. (:

Every day we planned, her thoughts returned to the same lady - Jaqueline. Since my very first day in Jandira 5 months ago, I've visited Jaqueline weekly as her work permitted. She's the mom of a young women who was baptized a few weeks before I got here, and together, we've helped her quit smoking and drinking all manner of things.

We struggled to get ahold of her all week. But then Saturday. Was Saturday, by chance, the best day of your lives too?!

9:23am She answers the phone and we schedule to meet up.
5:30pm Our zone leaders call; They were passing by on the train and felt impressed to get off at our station.
6:28 The four of us arrive at Jaq's house and perform a song that Sister Figueira and I wrote for her.
6:51 Elder Bow interview Jaqueline.
7:00 Meanwhile, on the other side of the city, there is a baptismal service beginning.
7:15 Good Gloria.
7:22 Heavens to Betsy.
7:38 Mother of Pearl.
7:46 The door opens. Jaqueline, with a towel and flip flops in hand says, "Call the Bishop and tell him not to drain the font. Today's the day!"
8:17 We arrive at the church.
8:34 Jaqueline's baptized.

Joy.

Gratitude, humility, and joy. And then chocolate chip cookies afterwards. And we giggled until the alarm went off the next morning.

So that's how we ended this transfer. After 5 months, I've started to recognize where strangers bought their clothes and when they work - or at least what time they're at the bus stop. But I'd do just about anything to stay here in Jandira for a little longer. President Martins gives us a little warning in his email to us as to if we'll be transferred, and I got the sign. Maybe I'll just refuse go...? Maybe he's just kidding. dfgJKDHFkiedfoajjdklfkdsfghkadftjskldflkjflkg. That's pretty much how I'm feeling right now. I know that there are bigger and better things waiting. I'll go where He wants me to go!

Alright, stop crying.

Also, unrelated, but you know in the movie The Other Side of Heaven when the girl says that no matter how far apart they are they will still be looking at the same moon? I believe that. I believe we have the same moon. But we do not have the same sun. Between the excessive exposure and heat and the disgusting amount of sun screen and pollution, this blessed sun is doing lots of great things to my skin. And by great I mean it's ruining my skin a little bit. So we're off to São Paulo today to see the dermatologist. Exciting.

No, but for real it is super exciting! The dermatologist is located on the Avenida Paulista - the most well-known, fast paced, high class street in all of Brazil. It's like the Times Square of São Paulo, except the SP is about double the size of NYC. ADVENTURES! (: Wish us luck! So excited!

I love ya'll!

Love, love, love,
Sister Vaughn

No comments: