Kelly's update

Monday, April 29, 2013

Oi Meus Pais!

Oh my dear Family!  I hope you're doing fantastic!  I also hope this letter idea is fantastic.  I know it won't work when I get to Brazil, but I'm sure by then I'll be super efficient and stuff!  Being able to reply to all 17 emails last week was the best!  

My week has been great!  Mom, to answer your language questions, we have two 3-hour language classes everyday except Sundays and Tuesdays.  We also use a computer program that's like Rosetta Stone, but just gospel terms, phrases, and the grammar needed to put it all together.  Oh, and an hour of language study.  So 8 hours a day of Portuguese, not including our teaching practice.  Not bad!  Our classes are with 2 teachers, Irmao Kartchner and Irmao McGill.  They are fantastically patient and enthusiastic and just want each of us to be the best we can be.  We aren't learning the alphabet or numbers or colors; it's all completely gospel-based.  We learn vocabulary and sentence structure that will allow us to teach.  Our teachers don't speak any English to us in class unless they can tell we have no idea what's going on, but that's been great.  Class is usually split between learning language concepts until our brains explode and using Preach My Gospel and other similar resources as guides to becoming the best teachers/leaders/companions/disciples we can be.

As for your question about learning the gospel, we already know it and are expected to.  If I ask "What's the best way to teach someone about this?" they tell me, "You're the missionary."  The responsibility and the weight of this calling just makes me feel right in my element.

Oh, random fact that may or may not be a fact:  Our name tags say "Sister" instead of the Portuguese word "Irma" to distinguish us from the Catholic sisters.  Maybe.  That's the word on the street, anyway.

The way I've been organizing my daily journal has been perfect for documenting all the important things and I think including the week's highlights in letters sometimes will be good.  Or all letters.  Or none. You might never know.  Or will you?
   
The Week's Peaks:
1. I see Kristin and Kenna all the time and it makes me so happy!
2. Sister Davis and I now teach without an outline.  In Portuguese.  No English.  Is that exciting to anyone else?!  Like 30 minutes, people!  Asking and answering questions.  Does that psych anyone else out?!  There are tons of times where I want to say something that I don't know how to say that would better apply to the person we're teaching.  And sometimes I start a sentence and then realize I don't know how to finish it.  But, for th emost part it's blowing me away how much we are able to retain adn apply.  So so so far to go, but we're on our way.
3. I saved the biggest Peak for last.  Elder Richard G. Scott came to speak to us last Tuesday and he gave a great talk about prayer.  Also, at the end of the meeting, after the closing song, he got up again and said that he felt prompted to pronounce an apostolic blessing on us.  Blessings of: heavenly help with the languages we were learning, the ability to talk freely with our Father in Heaven during trials, peace to know our calling, that our efforts would be eased and that our missions would be a foundation for our lives as wives and mothers.  I can't even describe the Spirit that was in the room.  It was so surreal.  It was an answer to so many prayers.  I'll never forget that experience. Ever.

Its hard to follow that with the Week's Pits:
1. My pedometer doesn't work.  Well, it does but it likes to reset itself randomly.  When I watch it carefully, I think I average about 10 or 11 miles a day I want to get a new one and track the mission's mileage.
2. I'm sick.  I wasn't sure if I should starve my fever or feed my cold, but I bet you can guess which one I chose!  I've been giving cookies to my body as peace offerings, but it's not ready to surrender just yet.  Soon!

This Week's Praises:
1. This week, I'm so grateful for my patient teachers who work so hard to help us succeed.
2. I'm so grateful for my companion who always knows what to say to encourage me.  I know there's a reason we are here together.
3. I'm so grateful for my district who values obedience and testimony.  They are all so sharp and focused and they teach me so much about being Christlike.
4. I'm so grateful for this unbelievable opportunity I've been given to dedicate 18 months of my life to service and to not only learn of the Savior under His tutelage myself, but to invite others to come to know Him as well.

This Week's Prayers:  In my journal, these are pretty consistent day to day.
1. I pray to be the best junior companion I can be - that I'll be able to uplift, encourage, and stretch Sister Davis.
2. I pray for the people of Brazil because I love them.
3. I pray that I'll continue to increase my capacities to learn Portuguese, to serve, to love, and to be selfless.
4. I pray that I'll be able to go to bed at night with no regrets, knowing I worked, studied, served, and prayed as hard as I could and made every second count.

Well, family, I love you so much!  I love the Gospel.  I love the Savior.  I know that He lives because I know Him.  This is what life is all about, right here.  It's the best!

Love,

Sister Vaughn

PS  This is waaaaay too long.  Don't get used to it!

No comments: