(:

Monday, December 9, 2013

This has been such an interesting week! So interesting, in fact, that a list was created to document all of the unusual happenings. 

It includes an umbrella-less, hurricane status rain storm that resulted in an apartment flooded with 2 inches of water! We're still drying papers and clothes and books. Thankfully, the old put-the-electronics-in-rice trick works on cameras too! (:

I thought that would take the cake, but Saturday, 8:03am the phone rings. It's President. Emergency transfer! He gave us 2 hours to pack up Sister Santos' things and send her away! She's in Santana, the area closest to the temple in São Paulo with Sister M. Silva, with whom I lived with in Monte Serrat. She is in my top 3 list of favorite Brazilians and definitely makes it to the top 10 favorite people in the universe. One day I'll be companions with her. (: It's been fun to keep in contact with her. This last transfer she started to train a new Sister and it was going pretty rough. She often sent emails asking for advice and prayers. Her companion was very headstrong and wouldn't do anything that she asked. But rather than letting her go home, President switched us, and I'll be finishing her training.

We were in President's car on our way to pick and a quote from conference came to my mind; I can't remember who it was, but one of the General Authorities was telling a story of a struggle in someone's family and the mom got the impression from Heavenly Father: "I sent her to you because I knew you would love her." And I thought, good Gloria, this is gonna get interesting.

But on the contrary, Sister Figuera is a peach and I love her already! She is 25 and is from the tippy top of Brazil in Amapá. She is adopted and has 15 brothers and sisters. She joined the church in 2007 and is the only member in her family. She might be 4' 9"... maybe.. but she is a fire ball and has a lot of personality to compensate. (: She has a huge heart and testimony and teaches really well! Last night she told me that finally, she feels like she's arrived in the mission. I don't know how this is all going to go, but I'm just excited that it's part of the adventure. (:

After weeks and weeks and weeks of nothing really going super well, we are starting to really see the Lord's hand in our area. Lots of really solid, humble people.

OH MY GOSH. Yesterday was the best day ever. 6 of the people we're teaching came to church and it was the Young Women's Program in Sacrament Meeting. I will always have a little video in my mind of Vitoria and Barbara singing with the Young Women and Barbara gave like the best talk I have ever heard! (Ahhhh happy tears!) She is on track to finish her Personal Progress this week and will be baptized on Saturday before the ward Christmas Dinner. 

No time for stories today, but Marcia, Quiteria and Leide, and Bruno will be baptized in the coming weeks.

LIFE IS AWESOME. Ok bye. (:

Thoughts:

"Isn't it wonderful to know that we don't have to be perfect to experience the blessings and gifts of our Heavenly Father? We don't have to wait to cross the finish line to receive God's blessings. The heavens begin to part and the blessings of heaven begin to distill upon us with the very first steps we take toward the Light. " -Dieter F Uchtdorf

Have a lovely week!                                                            

Love, love, love,


No comments: