Well hello all the way up there! I can't believe it's just been one week!! It's crazy that just a few days ago I was sitting in Antoinette's garage and jammin' in the car with Sister Jenkins and Sister Davis. It feels like I've been here a small life time! Not in a bad way. In a comfortable way. (:
When the plane started it's decent into São Paulo and we popped through the clouds, all you could see were hundreds of thousands, easily a million, tiny little red roofed houses. Heavens to Betsy, it's incredible! Everything feels so familiar to me. The faces of the people, the streets, the pace of the city, the sounds and smells, even the language. It's like I knew it all before and I'm just trying to remember it. I really wish I had a better memory. (: I think my freckles are just my inner Brazilian poking through. (:
Oh, President Martins said that I'm the first American to get a visa for this mission in four months! I wonder how long the other 4 missionaries from my MTC district will have to wait in their reassignments before they come the the MBSPN.
So our area is called Monte Serrat and is in the city of Salto. It's exactly what you think of when you think of Brasil! Man I just love it! There's so much to take in. It's kind of like the reason that I loved BYU so much - feeling like a small part of something huge and important, except this is more huge and more important. (: I love the feeling of being completely lost. It's liberating. (:
My trainer, Sister Alves da Silva is straight up legit. She's the tiniest, peppiest, most talkative little thing I have ever met and dang does she have tude! Haha! She is from Manaus in the Amazon.The only English she knows are little phrases like "once upon a time," which are not really all that handy as missionaries. Haha. It's a good time though. We do a lot of sign language and drawing. (:
She's taking good care of me, Mom, don't worry! (: Sometimes she holds my hand when we cross the street. Hahah! It's hilarious to me. Pretty sure she thinks I'm insane. (:
We do a lot of walking place to place and she loves to tell me stories of her adventures in the Amazon. Sometimes (AKA 98 percent of the time) I have straight up no idea what she is talking about and I just give her a little hug and apologize and tell her we'll have this conversation in a month. (They say it takes 3 months to understand pretty much everything and 6 months to be able to respond the way you want. That's October and January! Does that sound like an eternity to anyone else?! Nossa!!)
We make a good teaching team though. I talk as much as I can and she clarifies as much as she needs to and we basically throw it down in the streets all day long. (:
The sun sets here so early and it throws me off. It's like completely dark by 6h30. (YESS!!! That's a Brazilian thing and I did it without thinking so I'm leaving it because I'm so excited!! (: ) But it's neat to be out in the dark! I knew the stars were going to be different here, but they are SO AWESOME!! There are soo many more!!
Anywaysssss, life's good. The Church is true. Have a great week!
Love, love, love,
Sister Vaughn
No comments:
Post a Comment